Tuesday, April 19, 2011

america is dieing on their knees from obesity

For those that don't recognize my title, its from Jamie Oliver. I am addicted to his food revolution show. It opens my eyes to a world that I am scared to send my girls in to. I am vowing now to pack my kids lunches everyday when they enter public school. Things in this country need to drastically change. Its not fair to feed our kids into an early grave because parents don't have the knowledge or money to prevent it. I am also pleased to reveal that cailyn is giving up her McDonald's habit. For those that don't know, my daughter loves McDonald's. It stems from an awful and lazy habit I started when she younger. Over the weekend I have showed her that there is a tastier way to get the same stuff at home. She bought it and now every time we pass by she says "no McDonald's for me" <3

This is a turkey mushroom burger on a 100 cal sandwhich thin. Baked fingerling potato fries as a side dish
This is turkey on 100 cal whole grain mini bagels with 10 pop chips and 2 large strawberries! i used low fat cream cheese instead of mayo!


Not only am I eliminating the eating out for health reasons but for money reasons too. Before I could easily spend 50-75$ a paycheck on eating out for me and the girls. I think about how much good meats and fruits and veggies that could buy! No more for us. I will start packing the girls lunches if I know I am going to be gone during lunch, if I get in the habit now I will continue it later in life.

I am also proud to report that I gymmed it up 5 days last week and went yesterday. I didn't go today but I did mow my backyard. OMG what a freaking workout. I didn't do that great but it was a jungle and I was out there for at least 30 mins so I know I got my cardio in! Now the girls and I can get out there and kick the ball around whenever we get a glimmer of sunshine! * please keep in mind I am praying it doesn't snow tonight since its going to be 30 degrees out!* Tomorrow we will walk to and from cailyns speech therapy. I also think turning on some music in the morning and dancing while I clean will do us all some good. Music just feeds my soul in ways I can explain!

My weekly challenge is to drink ONLY water. I hope I can keep with it. Taking it a week or even a day at a time makes things more possible.

I watch the show too fat for 15 fighting back every week. So I will leave you with this to chew on for a bit
"This is the first generation of teenagers that may die before their parents"

Scary huh. It starts with us as parents to teach healthy habits. If you don't want to do it for yourself do it for your kids. It is worth it to give them a fighting chance at life.

5 comments:

  1. So I've started a quest to learn to like veggies (I HATE vegetables). If you want to read (and maybe get some recipes), it's http://learningtolikeveggies.blogspot.com/. So far it's just been asparagus since my broccoli attempt was a fail :P But most of the recipes are really easy and low in calories/fat!

    And I think it's really great that you're working so hard to be a role model for your girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. holli packing the lunches is not as hard as it seems. i started doing it for the girls too when money is tight. i can't remember the last time we even went to a mcdonalds, we used to go all the time just after chloe was born so natalie could play. horrible i know. but it was the only place in tacoma with an indoor playground. i have a steamer and the girls seemed to LOVE the steamed brocilli i made tonight. making small switches will make a drastic change in their eating habits. i always give fruit with breakfast and lunch. we dont even carry ANY chips in the house unless nick wants them and then they get tossed into his truck for work. keep it up holli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aside from the occasional mcdonalds hte girls eat really healthy. They love fruits and veggies and would chose that over alot of things anyday. They love cucumbers and ranch right now. They dont get alot of candies or cookies or chips, unless its a healthier version, pop chips, sugar free pudding. so on and so forth. Its just getting in the habit of packing so i dont have to stop somewhere thats hard!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. insead of ranch, try using the dip packets (hidden valley ranch dip packets) and some fat free sour cream. the girls love it. i use the lipton onion dip too. ranch is really bad for you. and the fat free ranch in the bottle is sooo expensive. give it a try, i bet they dont even notice the difference. even nick uses the dip

    ReplyDelete
  5. im not too worried about it. i dont use much ranch and my girls are really active so a little bit of fat in the ranch isnt much of an issue for them. they get about a tablesoon a day or so and in the scheme of things its not much. we use lots of low fat no fat things anyways and alot of stuff is sugar free and i only bake with spelnda and whole wheat flour. I do so much of that type of stuff that i let a few things slide here and there.. but it sounds like a yummy option for me though!

    ReplyDelete