Friday, April 5, 2013

What is Sexy?

Has anyone else seen that new Victoria Secret commercial with the oh so tiny and ridiculously long legged women, prancing around a sport car in their 32C and size xs bra and panties? And the words scrolling on my screen are "What Is Sexy?"
  I know for some men, this is what makes their, ahem, motors rev. But this isn't always the case. However according to media (and apparently Gwenyth Paltrows new cookbook?) Being thin is what is sexy. Hip bones, collarbones, and rib cages you could play a song on are todays ideals of a perfect women. Well as shocking as it is, I barely anyone I know looks like this *insert huge gasp here!!!* Yes I have my thin friends, and my long legged friends.But I also have bigged boobed friends, petite all over friends, friends with hips that don't lie and some that have bellies that shake when they laugh. And guess what? I love them all, I find them all beautiful.
 Recently I took a trip with my better than average but still in the average category husband and my two tiny kiddos. I keep looking through photos, trying to find images of people in the crowded who are disgusted, or throwing up at the sight of me. Well guess what? I can't find any. Weird right? Well I thought so too. Because according to societies ideas, everyone should shutter and cringe at the sight of me. Being in the same room with me should make them all cower in fear and pray to whoever and whatever that they don't catch this horrible, life ruining disease called FAT. All I see in my pictures is a happy family, and people who could care less about what I look like.
 For me sexy isn't my number when I step on that scale. It isn't about how great my bones look sticking out from body. It is about me, being happy in my skin. I know people are worried for my health, hell I am worried about my health. But I am happy. I am happy with who I am. I don't look in the mirror and cringe and cry and beat myself up. I look and see how my eyes light up when I smile, and how ok I am with my naked body. I don't need Victoria or anybody else and their secrets to define to me what is sexy. And I don't think they should be defining it for anybody else either. We need to learn to love ourselves for who we are and what we offer as human beings, not what we look like standing next to a sports car half naked.
 I am taking part in a campaign via facebook called I Love EveryBODY (check out their fb page and show them some love.) It is important for everyone to love and accept themselves and others for who they are and not hate on them for how they look.
 I am proud to be plus size, I love my curves, my stretch marks and my dimples. The ones on my face and the ones on my ass. I think I am beautiful and sexy. But if I was born thin, I would embrace that too. It is all about loving what you are working with today and not worrying about how to change it for tomorrow. Love yourself and you are what sexy is.

1 comment:

  1. I've nominated you for the Liebster Award! It's a little shout out to recognize some awesome bloggers!

    Go to http://bottleduplightning.blogspot.com/2013/06/leibster-award.html to check out what it's all about and participate!

    ReplyDelete