Friday, July 15, 2011

one size fits .........

last night while i was on facebook this fabulous lady i know, kasey, updated her status with this "whoever came up with the idea to make clothing 'one size fits all' is either extremely optimistic or seriously delusional"

It got me thinking about how right she actual is! Aside from a scarf most one size fits all is like false advertising. I dont know any other female that is shaped like me. Sure I have plus size friends, but my boobs are bigger and their thighs are smaller. I also have friends that are a milllion feet tall with legs as long as I am tall, some are petite, some not. I dont understand living in a worls where the  fashion industry puts a label on something and we take it for what it is. No matter who you are you are going to come out of the battle with the item with a complex. Thanks alot asses. Making women feel more insecure is not the ideal way to get us to pur@hase items.

Another thing that kills me is the way plus size fashion is designed. Unless you shop at torrid or sometimes targets plus size, you are left with what I call the pregnant box effect.  Its designed to make us with a little extra junk in the trunk comfortable about going shopping. Im sorry what about my womenly figure screams that I am the shape of a square. Its like they sewed two squares of seasonal colored fabris together, threw on some smaller squares for arms and added a sparkly broach for pizzaz and I am suppose to die over how great it looks on me. Wrong.

Skinny people , men and women, often critisize plus size gals who wear stuff thats too small, or too tight, or they make comments about us wearing leggings and patterns that draw attention to us. Well here is some insight, its because we dont want to look like a box. I have waist *its hidden in there somewhere i swear* I have a chest and hips and I dont want to walk around hiding all of it. I need colors and patterns and things that hug me. I need it to feel sexy, to feel normal. Its not easy living in a size 2 world in a size 22 body, and until cute plus size fashion becomes affordable on a walmart budget then some of us are gonna squeeze and tuck and suck ourselves into the biggest size we can find on a rack filled with adorable clothes. I am a firm believer in being fashionable, any size, any budget. I just wish the fashion industry thought so too.  So next time you start to open your mouth to make a snide comment about what someone my size has on, but yourself in her adorable, too tight shoes and think about what other choice she has, and realize she is just trying to think outside the box.

1 comment:

  1. Its like the Pajama jeans! I watch that freaking commercial and get mad... I know there is no way my old butt would fit in those! Even though I am smaller now, I definitely still see my self plus size and get mad at that stuff.
    Weight is such a hard thing to battle and unless you've been there you can't understand.... I have been trying to eat "normal" and I can't do it. I have gained 15 lbs and it is freaking me out.... I have to go back to eating from my food plan :( I wish I was "normal" with food but I am not and it sux! I would have hated to lose this 95 lbs just to gain it back.... blah! SORRY for the ramble, your my fav Holli!

    ReplyDelete